Breaking Code ... on a podcast

Part 2 of why I started this blog was that, in addition to wanting to document my thoughts as I listened to these podcasts, etc., I wanted to share what I learn and hopefully eventually ... if anyone stops by to read what I've wrote ... people will share their own blogs and items of interest.  To be clear, no, I don't want your spam of buy my blah, blah, blah.  I do want a sharing of ideas and resources you think I might find interesting! 

Todays interesting podcast I listened to on my run is from a podcast I do often listen to and recommend, the BeerEDU Podcast.  I drink beer, but that's not why I love this one.  I'm going to admit I often fast forward past the beer, although they do a good piece on it for those who are interested.

The guest for episode 96 was Daphne McMenemy, who is apparently a coding/tech teacher for the lower elementary years.  I was just fascinated by her talking about how she handled distance learning with her youngest coders, resources and and challenges.  This was so timely for me as I just started again with the K-2 students at my own school for robotics.  I did this a couple years ago, but decided to move to focus on middle school and the high school robotics team.  Those little K-2 are a unique group, and kindergarten teachers are a special breed.  I really admire their patience and talent.  Middle school is my favorite group currently, but these little folks needed and instructor so I volunteered.  It's just 90 minutes once a week, doable for me.  During her interview, her experience, knowledge and love of working with that age grouping really came through, so encouraging this morning.  

Anyway, Daphne was also talking about her children's book series with a character learning to code.  Bingo for my read aloud for my little group.  I ordered that on Amazon as soon as my run was done, and likely will be getting the next two in the series as well.  They sound wonderful!  I can't wait to get these into class.  As Amazon will deliver Monday ... that's this week.  Yippee! 

Also discussed was CodeBreaker, something new to me.  Apparently the book was part of their publishing component, and they have many other books.  First pass on the website had me bookmarking it for more attention later ... always need a few hundred things to research on that on PD list!  


Book cover of Gracie by Daphne McMenemy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PD calendar - wishlist

The big question

Math CSETs are the antithesis of good mathematics